ARCHITECT, SENIOR MANAGER
A thorough understanding of the leadership and management skills necessary for long term success. Through collaborative processes, and working through subordinate project managers, developed numerous innovative tools that have proven successful in controlling scope, schedule and budget. Well respected by peers, consultants, subordinates, officials and clients.
- Contracts and negotiating
- Labor plans
- Quality control and assurance
- Consultant coordination
- Integrated Project Delivery
- Facility assessments/master planning
- Financial forecasts and controls
- Leadership and training
Sierra West Group,
July 1, 2016 to present; Sacramento, CA
Chief Operations Officer
Mostly responsible for the Publications Division and implementing business planning tools.
- Reorganized estimating manuals per new CSI format.
- Revised estimating manual format.
- Developed Business Plan.
Silver Eagle Group, LLC
February 1, 2013 to June 30, 2016; Ashburn, VA
Sales and Distribution Manager
Sister company to MVM (see below). After our contract ended at MVM I was moved to SEG in order to start a new division for wholesale sales of shooting sports products to local gun shops, shooting ranges, law enforcement and other agencies. SEG is the training arm of the company and has three indoor shooting ranges and other training facilities.
- Manage five sales reps
- Sales in 30 states
- OSHA Compliance Officer for ranges
- Developed compliance checklist
- Managed remodel of retail space
- Managed a $1.25m project to upgrade the range ventilation
- Managed all consultants and contractor
February 1, 2011 to February 1. 2013 Ashburn, VA
Responsible for all aspects of a program that provides armed security officers in high risk areas of the world under government contract. Managed all aspects of recruitment, training and deployment.
- New series of contract documents
- Recruiting forecasting tool
- Budget templates for all training
- New pay and expense policies
- New deployment schedule
- Managed training staff
- Contract deliverables tracking
- Nine figure budget
January 21, 2010 to January 30, 2011
Quality Control Consultant
Provided a variety of services to the architectural and engineering community.
- Led a team of engineers for the quality review of plans for a $34m New Student Center at a community college.
- Quality review of plans for the new $265m Stanislaus County Courthouse
- Business process improvements for a cost consulting firm
Stafford King Wiese Architects
June 1, 2008 to January 20, 2010; Sacramento, CA
K12 Studio Manager
Responsible for overall studio operations with up to six project managers and over 80 projects. Quickly developed the organizational structure and systems to gain better control of our agreements, budgets, billings and document quality. Led office reorganizational efforts to empower project managers to more effectively and successfully manage their individual projects. Participated in senior management meetings and strategic workshops. Was driving force for the reorganization of many of the firm’s standards. Conducted employee reviews. Managed client billings of approximately $330k per month.
- New series of contract documents
- New Work Breakdown Structure
- Corporate knowledge database
- Revised Fee/Budget template
- Construction document standards
- Deltek software development
- Process Improvement Tools
- Project Management Plan
October 23, 2003 – May 30, 2008; Auburn, CA
Higher Education Studio Director, Senior Associate
Assumed leadership of a studio with over 30 projects. Quickly analyzed all projects, identified problem areas and developed the tools necessary for the five project managers to gain control of their projects. Participated in local and firm wide management and strategic planning sessions. Developed many organizational and financial management tools used throughout all six offices in two states. Was a very active member of the Technical Service Group that set standards for the firm. Taught numerous project management classes. Was instrumental in many of the marketing successes, brought in new consultants to the office and was responsible for recruiting five employees. Maintained a profitable studio for over five years. Participated in numerous community college Master Planning and Facility Assessment projects. Conducted employee reviews. Responsible for client billings of approximately $360k per month.
- Revised Master Architect Agreement
- Revised consultant scope of work documents
- Developed integrated project management plan
- Initiated quality control database
- Revised Fee/Budget template
- Led employee training
- Reviewed all software upgrades
- Developed monthly project status reports
August 1, 2000 – September 22, 2003; Roseville, CA
Managed the most successful project in the office – the Woodland Police Facility; a design-build project with McCarthy Building Companies. Along with the Cotati Police Facility, these were the first two LEEDS certified police facilities in the country. Managed mostly civic projects.
- Active in management meetings
- Developed staff training syllabus
- Collaborated on administrative standards
- Assisted with implementation of Deltek software
- Active in setting CAD standards
- Implemented quality control tools
Lardner Lardner Architects
August 1, 1990 – July 31, 2000; Auburn, CA
Shared the management of the firm when the owner died shortly after I was hired. This opportunity gave me great insight into all aspects of running an architectural office. Worked for the local school district for 10 years until I left, and they followed me to LPA. Likewise, I took over a new client, Plumas Bank, who continued as a client for 16 years through three firms! Was lead designer, client contact and did most of the marketing.
- Wrote a quality control database
- Reorganized administrative processes
- Managed other architects
- Set all the document standards
- Supervised transition into CAD
- Presentations to school boards
Prior to 1990:
Architectural positions providing experience in a broad range of project types including educational, multi-family, residential, congregate care facilities, hospitals, banks, fire stations, office building and retail centers. Also have experience as a developer of multi-family projects. Solicited by two employers to work for them a second time.
- California architect; license #33891 (active).
- California insurance agent; Fire and Casualty Broker-Agent, license #0H15477 (inactive)
- Dale Carnegie High Impact Presentation, Dale Carnegie Training
- Advanced Contract Negotiations: Language and Techniques, Contract Solution s Group
- PM Simulation Workshop, TenStep, Inc.
- Professional Selling Skills II, Zerox Learning Systems
- Communication Skills Workshop, Organization System Incorporated
- Preventing Workplace Harassment Training, HR Consulting
- Predictive Profiling and Security Questioning, Chameleon Associates
- Emergency Medical Technician – Basic, Colorado Department of Health
- Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmentalized Information with counter-intelligence polygraph (inactive).
- Graduate, Shasta High School, Redding, CA
- Earned 126 units toward a degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Real Estate and Land Use Planning.
- Military GCT score; 141/134.
- Software: Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and Access. Helped implement Deltek’s Project Management module. While not in a production role for many years, have kept current with Autocad 10 and have completed a three day Manager’s Training Course for Revit.
- Relationships: maintained client relationship for over 16 years through numerous firms. Built quality relationships with subordinates that followed me to different firms. Successful relations with consultants who worked for me at different firms. Several clients have become some of my best friends.
- Organization: can provide examples of numerous management tools that have been adopted by successful firms because they have proven to increase profitability, quality and customer satisfaction.